Monday, June 21, 2010

Homemade Fabric Softener

You'll need:
3 C vinegar
2 C hair conditioner (any kind)
6 C water



Measure 3 C vinegar

Pour into a container big enough to mix all the ingredients (11 C + bubbles).



Add 2 C conditioner.




Then add 6 C water.



End result...



My cost for 44 loads = $1.62
Dryer sheets for 44 loads = $3.45
Downy for 44 loads = $7.13


Tips:
  • Read this article to make it last even longer.
  • Is the cost savings worth it? Maybe. Maybe not. But if you're in a pinch, it's easy to make from items you have at home and takes maybe 5 minutes.
  • And you can always claim you're helping the environment.
  • If you have a household member that is sensitive to store bought fabric softener, this method will allow you to control the additives.




2 comments:

  1. AWESOME. This is something I'm definitely going to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I knew I had heard of doing this before, but hadn't actually tried it. (I do make my own laundry soap, though, and love it) So a quick google brought up this website: http://www.diylife.com/2008/03/06/homemade-dryer-sheet-recipes/ which explains how to similarly make your own "dryer sheets" by dipping a washcloth in your fabric softener solution and drying it with your clothes! I'm so excited to try this now! I even have some conditioner that I don't really like using for hair, so it'll be perfect for fabric softener. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete