Thursday, July 9, 2009

Confessions of a Shopaholic

Confessions of a Shopaholic featured on our flat screen last night. I won't review the movie other than to say that it gave pause for thought. Did it ring true to me?....Slightly, I must confess.

Rebecca (is her name a sign to me?) finally admits to being a shopaholic when she explains why she shops--it makes the world better...for a little while; then she has to shop more.

In the end she discovers that relationships with people bring more joy than a relationship with a credit card.

Overall, a good reminder of what is most important. To me, that's my fam. I get the most joy out of sitting down to a nice dinner conversation with my husband and kids, or playing a game of football/softball in the cul-de-sac on a pleasant spring night.

Those moments bring true, lasting happiness.

Tips:

  • You can use the step-down method for movie night: watch it in the theater for $10, rent from Blockbuster for $4/movie, sign up for Netflix for $10 a month (one-at-a-time, unlimited), or get it from Redbox or DvdPlay for $1/movie. WWBD: I have done all of these at one point or another. There are pros and cons to each, but lately we usually do to DVDPlay and spend about $2 or $3 a month.
  • Use this website to make the most of your money. Get the items you need/want while spending less rather than getting more than you need by spending the same amount. For example, if you need a pair of shoes, you can find a great deal and spend half as much on one pair of shoes (use the other money to save for a great family vacation). Finding a great deal doesn't mean you should now buy 2 pairs of shoes for the original price. Make sense?




No comments:

Post a Comment