Thursday, February 11, 2010

Do It Yourself Drain Cleaner

Remember this dirty water?







It wasn't my clever photography skills that allowed me to catch this crud before it drained. It's just sitting there....What was I thinking when I dumped the "recovery tank" of my new Hoover steam vac into my bathroom sink?!



Dirty water + lint globs + dirt + who knows what else + bathroom sink = a considerable clog.


Fortnately, I got an email from Thriftyfun.com a few days ago that included the following:



"Safe and Friendly Drain Cleaner


"To safely clean drains, I pour baking soda into the drain followed by table salt. If the clog isn't bad, I just use cold water to flush it down. If the clog is bad, you will need to use boiling water. Since this will not harm pipes or the environment, you can use this weekly to keep drains from becoming clogged.


"By Kris from New Albany, IN"



It really works! I couldn't really dump baking soda and salt down the drain, since the sink was full of water, so I just poured about 1/4 C of baking soda and 1/4 C of salt into the sink with the dirty water. Then I poured 2 quarts of boiling water in the sink. It took two rounds of this, but now my sink drains a little better than before.



Tips:


  • It's okay to say you're helping the environment even if you're being cheap (like me).

  • Go to Costco and buy the industrial-sized bag of baking soda for future drain clogs.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this. I tried it in our master bathroom sink and it worked great. I'll definitely use this again.

    ReplyDelete