Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Bavarian Fruit Torte using blackberries on sale at Sprouts



Starting tomorrow blackberries are on sale at Sprouts for 88 cents (per 6oz container). I'll be hitting the store tomorrow so I can get last week's deals, too (cantaloupe, 2 for $1)!

Need ideas to put the blackberries to good use? Try Bavarian Fruit Torte. I have added it to my repertoire of favorite dessert recipes.

Bavarian Fruit Torte


Shortbread crust:

1 1/4 C flour
1/3 C sugar
1 t grated lemon zest
1/4 t salt
2/3 C finely ground pecans
8 T butter
1 large egg yolk
1/4 t vanilla

Bavarian filling:

1/2 C fresh lemon juice
1 C sugar
3 T water
1 1/2 envelopes gelatin
1/2 t orange flavored extract
2 C whipping cream
2 C strawberries (diced)
2 C seasonal berries

For crust:
Whisk together in a bowl or process in a food processor for 10 seconds the flour, sugar, lemon zest, salt and grated pecans. Add butter. Mash with the back of a fork or process until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg yolk and vanilla. Mix with a spatula or process just until the dough comes together in a ball. Pat the dough evenly over the bottom of a 9" springform pan. Thoroughly prick the bottom with a fork. Bake in a 400 F oven for 18 to 22 minutes, or a deep golden brown. Chill 15 minutes.

For bavarian:
Stir together juice, sugar, and water. Sprinkle gelatin over and soften 1 minute. Heat over moderate heat until sugar is dissolved. Add orange extract and set pan in cool water. Whip cream separately; add gelatin mixture when cooled. Fold in strawberries and pour into springform pan. Chill for several hours and serve topped with mixed berries.

This recipe comes from a few different sources. I got the original recipe in the mail as a realtor's advertisement; however, I didn't like the crust in that recipe. I combined Joy of Cooking's recipe with another one I found online.


Speaking of blackberries, would like to know how my garden grows?
These are the wild blackberries that we have trained to our side of the fence. They should produce bountifully this year. I can't wait!


Tips:
  • Here are some healthier modifications to the Bavarian Fruit Torte recipe: use whole wheat flour in the crust and substitute light whipped topping for the whipping cream.
  • Make sure you chill the torte long enough. It may end up slumping off your springform bottom and all over the counter, perhaps even dripping onto the floor. How would I know, you ask? No comment....
  • I have tried using just blueberries, just strawberries, or a mixture of strawberries and blackberries. I think any combination of berries would taste great!
  • I highly recommend Joy of Cooking. You can find it for less than $10 here.

No comments:

Post a Comment