Friday, September 11, 2009

Homemade Softscrub

I'm on a do-it-yourself kick right now. First, the burritos, now this homemade Softscrub,



and there's more coming....




Here we go with the Softscrub:

Supplies:
  • Vegetable oil based liquid soap (we used Murphy Oil Soap)
  • Baking Soda
  • empty bottle
  • funnel
Step one: Add 1/2 of a box of baking soda to a clean bottle. (I used an empty contact lens solution bottle with the tip cut a little larger.)




Step two: Add enough liquid soap until you get the consistency of icing. Keep adding a little soda or a little soap until you get the consistency you want.



Step three: Shake the bottle to mix thoroughly.


Here's the cost breakdown:

Baking soda: $1
Murphy Oil Soap: $1 (I only used about 6 oz of the 32 in the bottle.)

Softscrub cleanser costs about $5 or $6 at the grocery store, so we made it for 1/3 the cost.

That's all. It was a snap, and I love the way it cleaned my shower tile.

Here's my shower tile before the homemade softscrub (try not to get too grossed out):



And after...



Other shower cleaners took a lot more elbow grease than this did. I'm actually excited to clean it next time!

Tips:
  • Feel good about going green. You're not only saving money, but you're also cutting down on waste from containers.
  • Search "homemade soft scrub" on google to find other recipes to try.

2 comments:

  1. I love this recipe. I have been cleaning with baking soda, vinegar, and lemon juice for years...but never thought about Murphy's soap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you and Heather are having way to much fun coming up with these projects on a budget!

    ReplyDelete