Monday, April 6, 2009

Elle Decor Reproduction: April 2009

Elle Decor, April 2009 issue

I love this room, because of its simple lines, soothing color scheme, and dramatic art.

You can have this room for under $300:

1. Do-it-yourself king-sized upholstered headboard. Bejane.com has instructions for making a headboard yourself.
  • 1/2" Plywood: $10
  • 2" Foam: $11 (after using a 40% off coupon at Joann's)
  • Batting: $0 (I can use the batting out of an old comforter that we're not using.)
  • Fabric: 3 yards @ $5/yard (found in the "Red Tag" fabrics at Joann's)

Total for headboard: $36.

2. Floral wall art.




I took a few snapshots of flowers in my house, chose the best ones to convert to sepia, then pasted them (in photoshop) over a leather background that I found on the internet. Glue the print onto a stretched canvas, paint the sides of the canvas to match the print, then glaze it.
  • 16" x 20" print from Costco.com: $9.99
  • 16" x 20" stretched canvas from Michael's: $3
  • Brown paint for sides of stretched canvas: $1
  • Spray glue: $0 (in my cabinet)
  • Glaze: $2

    Three of them would cost $48.

3. Nightstand

$45 on craigslist.com; pint of paint (see color below) for $10.






4. Bedding


From ebay.com






King-sized sheets from big lots in white or ivory.



Pillow from Costco. (I bought this for my living room in cream, but I would buy it in brown for the bed.)


5. Accessories



Lamp from google shopping.



Gold frame for the nightstand from google shopping.






Total: $270




Tips:
  • Make it your own. It's great to get inspiration from a magazine, but add some touches that make it personal and meaningful, like the floral art.

2 comments:

  1. Looks great. That your art alternative is off the charts cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping to actually see it all together in your bedroom!

    ReplyDelete