Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Budget Decorating: Do It Yourself Floor Vase

A section of wall space, along a walkway in my house, remained blank for a long time, waiting for something that made a statement, but didn't obstruct traffic. After a period of time without finding the right accessory at the right price, I got a little creative. Sometimes when I get creative, it turns out downright embarrassing! (I would be sent to the remedial craft class.) However, every now and then, I get it right.

Here's how I did it:

  1. Buy a length of 3" pvc pipe (I got mine at Home Depot for $4).
  2. Have a Home Depot employee cut it into 18" sections.
  3. Buy 2 yds of fabric. (I bought mine at Walmart for $2/yd).
  4. Cut fabric into 11" lengths.
  5. Use a hot glue gun to glue the fabric onto the pvc pipe, tucking the ends inside.
  6. Get an 18" section of molding (I got mine in the scrap section at Home Depot for free).
  7. Use a hot glue gun to glue each section of fabric-covered pvc pipe onto the molding piece.
  8. Attach picture hanging hardware to the back of the molding and hang it on a nail in the wall so that the wall vase won't tip over.
  9. Buy dried greenery to display in the pipe sections (Mine was 90% off at Michael's--about $5).

Total cost: $13.

Tips:

  • Release your inner Martha--Stewart, that is. If I can do it, ANYONE can.

No comments:

Post a Comment