Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Bamboo Flooring

Two and a half years ago I almost killed my father-in-law and probably got my husband disinherited for enlisting my father-in-law's help installing bamboo flooring....But look at my pretty floors!





We ripped up carpet and old oak flooring to replace it with bamboo, because of its durability and unique look, not to mention its earth-friendliness.



The estimate to have it installed by a pro totaled about $6000 for 500 square feet. We did it ourselves for $1500. Here's the breakdown:


  • Solid bamboo flooring from Costco: $1100

  • Table saw: $100

  • Wood glue: $200

  • Miscellaneous supplies: $100

The hard work lasted for a few days, but was well worth the savings. One big room would have been easier and quicker than our layout: one dining room, 3 walkways, 1 hallway, and a lot of tricky corners.


To my father-in-law: Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!


Tips:



  • Do research. I spent several hours studying online resources explaining how to install wood flooring.

  • Don't rush. It's never as easy as the tutorials or tv shows make it look. Give yourself time to get through inevitable obstacles.

  • Assemble a team. Apply the time-tested economic principle of "division of labor" to get better and faster results.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I’m a new blogger you can find here at this url http://aboutbambooblinds.com , and your site is very related to mine; I thought it would be beneficial for both of us to do a blogroll link exchange. Please let me know if you’re interested.

    Thanks for your time,
    Jack
    E-mail: links@aboutbambooblinds.com

    ReplyDelete